Thursday, March 5, 2015

Ending winter with a fire (and not in a good way)...

 I'm sure with a title like that, you are wondering what exactly I mean, huh? Well, I thought I would add a little excitement and spice to our evening by catching my cutting board on fire! Aaron was upstairs in the shower and the girls were up there playing. I had been dealing with some major head congestion, so I thought I would do some steam with eucalyptus essential oil to try to help. My cutting board was sitting on the front burner and when I went to turn on the burner under the tea kettle, I turned on the wrong one instead. I went back to the living room to watch my show and knew the kettle would whistle when it was ready. It had probably been about 10 minutes when the smoke detector went off. I didn't think too much about it at first because it tends to go off with just the littlest bit of smoke. I get up, walk into the kitchen only to see flames jumping about halfway to the ceiling. I'm not even sure what my first thought was, but I turned the burner off, threw the cutting board into the sink (both the board and the stovetop were still on fire) and ran to the stairs to yell at Aaron. I could hear Tae up there yelling "fire, fire!", but couldn't hear Aaron. I ran into the laundry room and grabbed the fire extinguisher. I have never used a fire extinguisher before and wasn't quite sure how to work it, but I got a little bit of the stuff to discharge. I turned around and turned the water on over the cutting board the same time Aaron came running in dripping wet and without a shirt on. He grabbed the fire extinguisher and put out the rest of the fire.The entire house was filled with smoke and ALL of our smoke detectors were going off now. The girls came down stairs and I quickly rushed them outside. Aaron opened up all the windows and took the batteries out of the detectors. We were lucky it had been fairly warm that day, so I gathered some blankets and set the girls up in our car to watch a movie. This was the mess we were left with. That dust from the extinguisher got everywhere. It was about 8pm when it happened and we were up until after midnight cleaning it up. After about an hour, the smoke cleared enough to let the girls back inside and I got them to bed. We had to throw away quite a bit of food that was out along with an entire crock pot full of chicken stock I was making.

I feel so thankful and blessed that none of us were hurt and that the damage was minimal. This was probably one of the more scarier moments of my life and definitely made me realize how quickly you can loose everything!

On a lighter note, I am so happy that it is now March and that the weather will soon be warming up. The girls and I have been feeling a little cooped up with all the snow and the cold.



Here's some pictures of our last snow fall. I think we got a few inches. The girls lasted about 20 minutes and then we came in for hot chocolate. We had a good snow fall last night too, but it has been super sunny today and has already melted. That's Oklahoma for you!

We've been blessed to be able to watch my nephew several times for my sister. He and Hensley are about 10 months apart and they have a good time together. They will be moving over seas this summer and we are going to miss them so much. It will be sad that our kiddos wont be able to grow up together. We are soaking in all the time we have together while it's here!

Taelyn's schooling has been going very well. We are a little over half way done with her kindergarten curriculum (Five in a Row) and she is enjoying it. She was very excited to finish her "reading readiness" work book the other day, so we had to take a picture with her certificate. This year she has learned all her letter sounds and can read pretty well. She is great at math and loves science. The book that Hensley is holding is one of our books for FIAR. We even baked an apple pie when we finished that book.


As you can see in all my pictures, Hensley loves to be naked (or close to it). I don't think that girl is ever cold. She is always asking to be naked or "naked butt" as she calls it. I love the picture of Tae and Hensley. They are both doing the same thing. Silly girls!

The girls both like to imagine and pretend. We spend many of mornings pretending we are camping and making forts and sleeping bags for our adventures. I'm so blessed to be their mommy.

And of course, we always look forward to the weekends when we get to spend special family time together. These two girls and their daddy are everything to me <3

No comments:

Post a Comment