Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Meal Plan, grocery list, recipes!

I'm changing things a little since I can't seem to always post these on Sunday's. Also, things come up and we eat out, or we eat leftovers an extra night. Sometimes my weekly menu stretches to a week and a half. I'm not going to list what I have on hand, as this was getting a little confusing. I will just make a list of what I need. Be sure to look through the recipes to add additional things you may need. Also, even though I don't always write out organic, I do, almost always, buy organic.

Please let me know if you want to see anything added or done differently. I would love your feedback!

Menu

Tomato Basil Pasta, salad
Biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, fruit
BLAT's and sweet potato fries
Mushroom Swiss Quiche, salad
Pork Fried rice, veggies
Salmon cakes, salad
Chicken fajitas, black beans

Farmer's Market finds this week: peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, cheese, eggs, apples, tomatoes

Grocery List

Salad mix (usually spring mix and a spinach)
Assorted fruits
Avocados
Mushrooms
Green onions

Butter
Swiss cheese
Canned organic biscuits (I know, I know, but I don't do biscuits well and these are easy, ha!)
Sour cream
Frozen veggies (broccoli, peas and carrots, stir fry mix, etc.)
Organic ranch dressings (need to start making my own....one day!)

Cereal (usually get two boxes)
Organic whole wheat linguine (or similar pasta)
Brown rice
15 oz can diced tomatoes
Whole wheat tortillas
2 cans salmon (wild caught)
Vegetable broth
Organic whole wheat bread

Pork chops (thin)
Chicken breasts
Bacon (I like Applegate Farm brand)
Sweet Italian sausage

Recipes

This is the tomato basil pasta recipe. I haven't tried this particular one, but some like it. Sounds delicious!

For the sausage gravy, brown sausage in a large skillet. Once browned, add in a pat or two of butter (depending on how much grease is in the pan) and once melted sprinkle in 1/4 cup of flour (I use whole wheat). Whisk this around for awhile to cook out the flour. Add in 2 1/2-3 cups of milk and whisk until thickened. Add in salt and pepper to taste and you are good to go,

Everyone knows how to make a BLT! I add avocado to ours to make it yummier. For the baby I just chunk up the ingredients and give her toast cubes since she can't eat a sandwich yet.

Mushroom, swiss quiche: I make a simple pie crust with whole wheat flour, like the one here. I saute an onion, mushroom, and spinach until soft. Put mixture in the pie crust, pour over egg mixture, sprinkle with swiss cheese and bake until done.

The fried rice recipe is on my first menu post. I just brown cubed pork chops instead of the chicken. Yum!

Salmon cakes are a family favorite. Hensley can chow down on these! I'm going to make this version here this time for a little Asian flare.

Chicken fajitas are so easy! I cut chicken into strips and saute in some oil with salt and pepper, a little cumin and a little chili powder. Next slice up an onion and a few bell peppers and saute in the same pan you cooked the chicken in. When soft, add the chicken back into the peppers and onions to warm. We serve with cheese and sour cream in a warmed tortilla with a side of black beans.



No comments:

Post a Comment